Best Family Tree Software
If you’re looking for software to manage your family tree, you can’t beat a high-quality, free resource. The Ancestry Online Family Tree resource lets you:
- Upload your family tree information (from scratch or from a GEDCOM file)
- Upload pictures and Records
- Record audio and link it to an ancestor
- Automatically search for records that might link to your ancestor
- Publish information you’ve uploaded in a printed book you can customize
Best Place to Search Records
Definitely, the best resource out there. Ancestry.com has millions and millions of records. You can search for free (which at least gives you an idea if records may exist for your ancestor). However, you can start the free trial and access the records you’re looking for if you know what you want to find.
You easily learn Ancestry.com on your own, but to take full advantage, you might want to try the Official Guide.
Search birth records, death records, census information, you name it.
Best Solutions for Family Websites
Easy to use and free always work nicely together. Below are just a few options that make it very easy to set up a family website or blog. The services are free, and you don’t have to worry about “hosting” files on your own server or even knowing how to “program” a website. They’ve made it about as easy as can be:
If you’re a little more technically inclined, try: